[seul-edu] Re: In service update

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 09:55:14AM -0500, Jim Thomas wrote:
> RH6.2.
Ahem :)  I'm afraid nobody really remembers kde/qt troubles of
that age :(

> I was at the school yesterday and tried kalcul on the server -
> and it worked - but it still has that problem on the student
> workstations.
Try strace kalcul; what are the workstations -- X terminals or
standalone systems?  There were some problems with non-local
display for qt/kde apps at least some time ago. IMBW.

> We're still using KDE 1.1 which performs pretty well on those machines.
Probably -- it did work on k6-166/32.

> lastest KDE has sped things up quite a bit, so I might try again over
> the summer.  If it's not good enough, I'll certainly look into icewm.
Well, KDE2.2 seems to be reasonably faster than KDE2.1 (something
like factor of two was rumoured).  But while it's nearer to the
speed acceptance barrier on my system (I just can't wait 20
seconds for GUI to start, when I can get comfortable enough
environment in a second or two), so I don't know whether its
bells&whistles will do well on p133.

So -- BlackBox, IceWM, WM, if your pupils are not hardcore
Windows users ;-)

> I definitely want to steer away from shared accounts.  That's the same
> as an anonymous account, and will lend itself to abuse.  The students
Sure.

> That's something to consider.  I've been experimenting with mozilla at
> work, but it crashed on me a couple of times so I gave up.  Looking
Wow, how did you manage?  I didn't see that for quite a long time
(but I have Java disabled and don't put higher load on Galeon
than apx. 40 pages simultaneously -- something like 4--5 windows
with 6--10 tabs per each, that's common picture doing ranged
search on Google).

Better report them on http://bugzilla.mozilla.org (if not yet)!

> I'll look into Galeon and Skipstone too, thanks for the heads-up!
Galeon (galeon.sourceforge.net) will be most appropriate in Gnome
environment since it uses much of Gnome libs and its configuration
backend, but is perfectly well with "lite" window managers.  It
is the most feature-rich and adequate browser I've ever used.

[WARNING] I'd strongly recommend to try it on _recent_ distro
since gnome-libs and plethora of other things have changed very
much from RH6 times, trying to get all of that installed there
can be quite frustrating -- still, it's just demonstrating how
wonderful apt-get is ;-)

Skipstone (http://www.muhri.net/skipstone) uses only GTK+ and is
thus lighter on memory and CPU, but also less featureful.

I've evaluated them somewhere near galeon-0.10.2 and
skipstone-0.7.1 on k5-75/48 to p133/96 (don't remember exactly)
and concluded that Galeon was definitely closer to my ideal.

What's more important, its development brings it only closer,
even when previous version was "just as neat as it could be"! :)

---

Hope this helps...

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>