[seul-edu] NT, Linux, DDNS, Samba (was: Linux boxes and a win2k server)

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 09:41:46AM -0600, Art Petrzelka wrote:
> There is one watch-out here when you're dealing with DNS, DHCP, WINS and
> dynamic DNS updates using Windows NT 4.0 and 2000.
[skip]
> "BIND 8 supports dynamic updates. Unfortunately, Microsoft's DHCP server
> doesn't yet send dynamic updates to DNS server. It only talks to Microsoft's
> WINS servers. WINS servers handle dynamic updates, though only for NetBIOS
What leads to thoughts of Samba.  And doing search on "dns.*up"
in smb.conf(5), we stumble upon exactly that stuff...

PS: I'm not exactly fair -- I've already heard of that hook :-)

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>
  ------ http://visa.chem.univ.kiev.ua/~mike/