Re: Excellent Linux Courses

I agree, somewhat. I am now on my 6th installation of Win95 after purchasing a new
computer. The Linux partition has no problems. One of our teachers had a problem
with fonts not being loaded properly in the registry. When I went into
/windows/system I started thinking about why do we say windows is easier. There is
more garbage in there than in my filing cabinets.(Which are quite full of old
useless things.)

I think that the documentation and how-to's need to be set up a little better. A
beginning user should be able to install Linux, access a word processor, a text
editor, a windows manager, get on the internet, be able to mount the floppy and
cd-rom with ease. By ease, I do not mean that some wizard gimmick sets it all up for
you but that the documents are all clear. Step one, step two, etc.

Although I don't think that at win9x immintation enviroment is a good way to get new
users set up on Linux I found it easier to set up KDE explore, work out a few
problems, and then took it apart and ran Window Maker.

"Daniel P. Kionka" wrote:

> I hate to make my second negative post in a row, but since you asked...
>
> These courses were pretty good, but the goal is always to teach you
> everything about Linux.  That is fine for me as a software engineer, but
> for the typical user, it just convinces him that he needs to stick with
> a simple system like Win95.
>
> What we need is simple guides for what the typical user needs to know
> just to get by.  Then after that you can have a section for those who
> want to learn more.
>
> Well, what we really need is an easier to use Linux.  At least the
> installation is getting better.  If you can get past the video card
> probing (which is another story), it comes up running a web server and
> other services.  You used to have to know way too much to get that to
> work.

begin:vcard
n:Dolph;S. Barret
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.angelfire.com/on/WhiteHorse/index.html
org:White Horse English Development Center
version:2.1
email;internet:white129@ms7.hinet.net
title:Headmaster
x-mozilla-cpt:;-1