Re: [seul-edu] Help with course design

I designed a 2-unit course for UC Berkeley Extension and taught the class
for 10 years as an Intro to Unix (Linux).  This was a 30-hours classroom
lecture plus lab on the student's own time.  So, perhaps this is a bit
heavy for a high school class, but it might be a place to start.  Anyway,
here's the class outline.
	* Features, login, passwords, brief intro to some utilities
	* File structure, tools to manipulate files and directories
	  such as mkdir, rmdir, rm, touch, ls, chmod, chown, chgrp,
	  rwx permissions
	* Bourne shell basic (non-programming) features
	* vi editor
	* Regular expressions
	* ex editor
	* Bourne shell programming
	* expr -- numeric and string expressions
	* Mike's 13 Commandments (suggested rules to follow to make
	  shell scripts friendly to the user and easy to maintain.
	* Various text-processing utilities: e.g., cat, pr, cut, paste,
	  split, join, lp/lpr, echo
	* ex/vi advanced stuff
	* sed (no programming), mainly s, d, w, q, !, a, f, t
	* awk
	* Sprinkled throughout are tidbits about security.

I stress the Bourne shell because it is easier, is absolutely portable,
and is upward compatible with the Korn/BASH shell.  System admin was
not covered, but students that went on to that field appreciated what
we covered here.  Also, networking was not covered.

Hope this helps some.
	Mike Lamasney
	lamasney@mlode.com