Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: thoughts on teaching programming]

On Friday 04 January 2002 10:10, Aaron Malone wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 01:05:03PM -0500, Doug Loss wrote:
> > > From: Aaron Malone <aaron@semo.net>
> > > To: seul-edu@seul.org
> > > Subject: thoughts on teaching programming
> > >
> > > I wrote a (short) essay the other day about teaching
> > > programming, and why languages like C++ and Java are
> > > bad places ot start.  I'd appreciate if some seul-edu
> > > people could take a look and give me their
> > > impressions.
> > >
> > > http://munge.net/thoughts/helloworld.shtml
>
> /me adds a send-hook to mutt so that it sends from his
> subscription address.
>
> Thanks, Doug.
aaron:
I agree, my wige hates programming, and basic was bad
enough for her to learn.  I would classify  python ~= basic
in terms of simplicity and "ease" of use... more important
to the casual "programmer" that is easily overwhelmed.

Please consider there are two kinds of kids in school
looking at programming.. the players and the geeks.  Most
kids are players, only a few will be geeks.  Sucessful
teaching reaches out to the most common level first, those
that want/need more can get it later or on the side.

Bill Ries-Knight