Re: Ok, http://gperiodic.seul.org exists

> Date:    Fri, 02 Jul 1999 13:10:41 +0200
> To:      seul-edu@seul.org
> From:    Malonowa <malonowa@wanadoo.fr>
> Subject: Re: Ok, http://gperiodic.seul.org exists

> Sender:  owner-seul-edu@seul.org
>

> jim@mercury.laney.edu wrote:
>
> > Hi Kyle,
> >

> > > Date:    Wed, 30 Jun 1999 08:46:44 EDT
> > > To:      seul-edu@seul.org
> > > From:    Kyle Burton <mortis@voicenet.com>
> > > Subject: Re: Ok, http://gperiodic.seul.org exists
> > >
> > > Is there anything I can do to help automate the process of packaging the
> > > software?  What I mean is -- every time the software changes, a new package
> > > would need to be built, right?  Is there anything I can do/write/chagne
> > > in the source tree that will help automate the process? (or completely
> > > automate the process?)
> >
> > Actually, yes. There are two things you can do:
> >  1) help me with the install target :)
> >  2) write a man page (I have a sample if you dont know nroff; makes it easy)
>
> Man pages are not teacher or student friendly. Produce a good HTML manual which
> covers the programs features - as one usually does. Then add sections covering
> the programs usage in the classroom - Lesson ideas etc.
>
> Remember that teachers are not computing experts and therefore more often than
> not require education on how to implement a software package effectively.
>
> I think this goes for all software that SEUL is involved in as well. You need
> get your projects up to a commercial standard for them to be useful and for
> people in the world to sit up and notice your work.

Then there is a problem... you see, it is a policy that every binary in debian
must have a man page. Now, having said that, the man page can simply list
all the sources of better information... And nothing in the debian policy
document (which I can cite for those interested) says anything resembling
"you cannot have more forms of documentation than man pages".

Now... educational opinion follows:

If it is the desire of a particular pedigogy to have students touch unix,
then it follows strongly that they must get used to reading technical
documentation. A beginning effort, for example, might involve a lecture
on cat, explaining its functionality and options. Students would be encouraged
to use cat in all ways presented. Then, somehow, the man page for cat needs
to be folded in: "you know I told you cat -n makes line numbers, can you
find where it says that when you type 'man cat'?"

I think overall this kind of thing goes to ability to do research and gather
information. I think these abilities in both this specific form (man pages for
unix commands) by anyone planning to enter a 4-year university and is getting
a unix account there.

Obviously, level and area of study have to be considered, but obviously many
areas can benefit if a student can be spurned to learn on his/her own.

end opinion

So, I do need a man page, if only to say "go to this web site" or something,
then the debian upload/install thingy will admit my package :)

-Jim

---
Jim Lynch       Finger for pgp key
as Laney College CIS admin:  jim@laney.edu   http://www.laney.edu/~jim/