Re: My ideas may not be compatible with yours but...

Doug Loss wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Jul 1999 23:55:08 +0200, Malonowa <malonowa@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> >
> > 50 programmers who have no educational expertise at all want to help
> > you.
> >
> > They all want something to do but they don't know what. They're eager to
> > start coding within a week or two or they'll be disheartened and find
> > other projects elsewhere to work on.
> >
> > How would you manage this large team of eager volunteers who don't know
> > anything about what you're doing?
> >
> > So disagree with my ideas about the commercial way of doing things if
> > you want but give me a realistic response to the above.
> >
> There's nothing wrong with the commercial way of doing things, but it's not the
> _only_ way of doing things.  As I mentioned in a previous posting (which was
> badly formatted, I'm sorry), I'd like to get detailed listings from each
> project leader of where and what kind of assistance they're looking for and put
> those on a jobs to do web page.  We already have the beginnings of a projects
> to start web page in our ToDo list.  OSS project experience in general seems to
> indicate that it's difficult to get a successful project started without a code
> base.  If some of these coders want to take a crack at starting such a
> project, we can certainly provide the educational expertise for them.

  How exactly will you provide the educational expertise? I think my point here is
that publishing this expertise, making it easily accessible as HTML would be great
for the above. Simply using a mailing list like this could become an exhaustive
business. Although this mailing list is very important and should remain as a key
part of what takes place.

We're actually heading in much the same direction but I think we're explaining it
differently - perhaps I just have a personality problem when it comes to explaining
things - too many bad business habits.

The problem is that you need the educational expertise published before you can
attract the programmers otherwise they won't know what it's all about. The
programmers need designs and ideas to work from.

But you do have a problem recruiting volunteers and I'm one of those people you'd
like to recruit so shouldn't you be trying to accomodate my feelings?