Re: My ideas may not be compatible with your but...

On Fri, 02 Jul 1999 23:55:08 +0200, Malonowa <malonowa@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> 50 programmers who have no educational expertise at all want to help
> you.
>
> They all want something to do but they don't know what. They're eager to
> start coding within a week or two or they'll be disheartened and find
> other projects elsewhere to work on.
>
> How would you manage this large team of eager volunteers who don't know
> anything about what you're doing?
>
> So disagree with my ideas about the commercial way of doing things if
> you want but give me a realistic response to the above.

There's nothing wrong with the commercial way of doing things, but it's not the
_only_ way of doing things.  As I mentioned in a previous posting (which was
badly formatted, I'm sorry), I'd like to get detailed listings from each
project leader of where and what kind of assistance they're looking for and put
those on a jobs to do web page.  We already have the beginnings of a projects
to start web page in our ToDo list.  OSS project experience in general seems to
indicate that it's difficult to get a successful project started without a code
base.  If some of these coders want to take a crack at starting such a
project, we can certainly provide the educational expertise for them.

Doug Loss            Democracy substitutes election by the
dloss@csrlink.net    incompetent many for appointment by
(570) 326-3987       the corrupt few.
                        George Bernard Shaw