Re: Web Site

Robert Hopcroft wrote:

> In several posts namely
> http://www.seul.org/archives/seul/edu/Jul-1999/msg00202.html and
> http://www.seul.org/archives/seul/edu/Jul-1999/msg00203.html there were
> lines of text that stretched on and on. I propagated the problem in
> and http://www.seul.org/archives/seul/edu/Jul-1999/msg00207.html. Anyway
> in trying to respond to
> http://www.seul.org/archives/seul/edu/Jul-1999/msg00203.html without the
> problem, I've retyped it hopefully accurately.
>
> Roman wrote:
>
> > I'd just like to ask here that since there was a few mails about
> giving the site a makeover and Wil was happy to let us do some
> redesigning, what's going to happen there?
>
> > Things are being discussed about project pages etc. I wrote some
> thoughts down and noones commented I'd appreciate some comments.
>
> Roman, all these things are on my mind and I try to deal with as many of
> them as I can. Currently all that's being considered is how to bring up
> to date the status of the Logo project.

There are currently more than 140 people on the mailing list. I'd have
thought that more could be discussed than logo.

> > Linux Weekly new wants to do a feature article mid-september so it'd
> be dam nice to have something organized and looking sharp by then. Thats
> 2 months.
>
> > My regards to everyone and looking forward to seeing some comments.
>
> Roman, I reread what I believe you are refering to
> http://www.seul.org/archives/seul/edu/Jul-1999/msg00160.html. It sounded
> to me like you're proposing graphics and animation. My concern is the
> download time. It's not a problem for me, now that I have a 256 Kbps
> connection. Before with a 28.8 Kbps connection, graphics could take
> forever. I'm with you on improving the web site as I've been pushing for
> it for some time. Let's discuss it on this thread.

There are a lot of people out there who overdo the graphics and don't
compress them properly. It shouldn't be a problem. As for animation, I
wouldn't go overboard on that - it's not really appropriate anyway.

But remember that we want to attract volunteers from both education and
programming. A lot of people have expectations when they visit a site and
dissapointing them wouldn't do any good. Whilst I don't think graphics
should be overdone, a site should look smart - people are impressed by
visuals and it will effect their decision to join in.

How long have you been on the list bob?

If you join irc at sel then create a seul-edu channel and we can talk. I
look at it regularly. Or I may have opened an edu channel.

Roman.