Re: gperiodic website suggestions

> I don't know, after I suggested it, it occurred to me that most
> traditional classroom icons are kind of silly-looking especially
> for software, apples, pencils, books, blackboards stuff like
> that...still, I noticed that a lot of educational oriented
> websites use it to signal "education" to people...
> in terms of content, I thought it might be useful to spend some
> space talking about how it might be used in a classroom
> environment (I don't remember if this is done at all...maybe
> one of the educators on the list could help with this...)

This keeps rolling around in my mind, so I thought I would revisit the
topic. First, I think in terms of the school system local to myself.
Classes K-4 use a computer lab to teach the basics of operating a
computer. In classes 5-12, the computer is integrated into all classes
whether the subject is mathematics or social studies. Thus I'm thinking
in terms of a 5th or 6th grade introductory science class. At this level
I believe one wants to give an overview of science. Getting into
detailed calculations is beyond the students. Thus one could present
that the physical world is made up of molecules, which are made up of
atoms, which are made up of protons, neutrons and electrons, which are
made up of quarks. Bring up the states of matter (solid, liguid, and
gas). Crystalline solids are face or body centered cubes or triclinic
etc. Much of this is related to the ordering of elements in the periodic
table. Thus the thought occurs that a general science course could be
put together bringing out the role of the periodic table and using
gperiodic to integrate the computer into the course. Another thought,
perhaps there should be two mailing lists. This one as it is and a
second one for educators who are really not into the current type of
discussions but only want to utilize the end products. I say this
because I don't see the average end user on the list, yet they are the
customer and their input is essential.
Anyway on to another thought, Roman wrote:

> It's all in the clever use of primary colours and dark outlines!

Kyle, this brought to mind that the periodic table is often 4 colored.
The first two columns are one color, the next 10 columns are a second
color, the final 6 columns are a third color and the Lanthanide and
Actinide series are a fourth color. Anyway just a thought.

Bob