Re: Proposed mission statement

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 14:59:22 -0700, Robert Hopcroft <hopcroft@uswest.net> wrote:

> Doug, I'm assuming that what you're calling a mission statement, I would
> call an "About".  For me a mission statement would be the first sentence.
> I'm saying this because I'm pondering how you intend to use it as well as
> what Roman is doing.

Well, I haven't seen what Roman's doing yet, so I can't address that.  What I
was doing was responding to your request for a mission statement and a
manifesto.  I figured that getting something concrete out there would give us
something to poke and prod into the shape we want.

> Using the layout of the SEUL home page as an
> example, I would layout the SEUL-EDU page in a similar manner with the
> strip going all the way down the left edge of the page. I would put what
> you're calling the mission statement and I'm calling the "About" in the
> left edge strip as a link to a separate page allowing for as much expansion
> or detail as one wants. Then I would replace what is currently in the right
> hand block below the title with a single sentence that I'm referring to as
> a mission statement. Anyway here is my try at a SEUL-EDU mission statement.
> SEUL-EDU is a volunteer project to help spread the use of Linux throughout
> the field of education.
> Anyway I would cover both discussion and implementation. Also in the second
> sentence, I would change "These include" to "These discussions include". I
> wouldn't leave any chance for anything to get misinterpreted. Anyway my
> thoughts.

That sounds fine with me.  I'll change "These include" to "These purposes
include," as that was the intended referent of "These."  I'll also send your
page suggestions on to Wil, Fredrik, and Roman, although with Roman working on
a site redesign I don't know if they'll be moot or not.

Doug Loss            Always acknowledge a fault.  This will throw
dloss@csrlink.net    those in authority off their guard and give
(570) 326-3987       you the opportunity to commit more.
                        Mark Twain