Re: New SAL listings

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 14:04:49 -0700, Robert Hopcroft <hopcroft@uswest.net> wrote:

> I took a look at the SAL web site. My first thought was, "Why are we
> maintaining a duplicate list?". However after a close look, I found that it
> was not well maintained. For example, it contained projects that died a
> year ago. Also they do have all the information about a project that I
> would like to see. But it does raise the question, "What criteria are we
> using for a program to be listed on our list?". I still go back to the idea
> that ultimately we will want the available programs in a database. Anywau
> some more thoughts.

The SAL sight isn't primarily educational, it's primarily scientific.  There's
a fair amount of overlap, which is why I keep an eye on it, but there's a lot
there that isn't appropriate for us, and a lot of what is appropriate for us
doesn't fit there.

As you say, their layout for each entry is pretty nice.  I agree that a
database would be a good way for us to store our stuff.  Roger, is that a
possibility?

Doug Loss            Always acknowledge a fault.  This will throw
dloss@csrlink.net    those in authority off their guard and give
(570) 326-3987       you the opportunity to commit more.
                        Mark Twain