Re: SquishDot

On Mon, Jul 26, 1999 at 12:01:17PM -0400, Doug Loss wrote:
> Here's a URL for SquishDot, a news publishing and discussion product for
> Zope:
>
> <http://www.squishdot.org>
>
> It looks very much like SlashDot, but the software is open source.  Take
> a look at it with two questions in mind.  1) How would this be useful in
> a school context?  2) Should we lobby SEUL (hi, Roger :-)) to install
> something like this as part of Roman's site redesign?  BTW, Roman, we
> haven't heard from you for a while.  How are things going?

Yes!

If we setup a slashdot-like system for seul-edu, we will enjoy the benefits of
a well organized weblog of our work and thoughts.  No more old-fashioned
"searching the archives".

I like squishdot because it is open source, based on Zope (which includes PHP4)
and so would finally satisfy my need for a PHP server on seul,  and because I
really like the slashdot-like concept.

Furthermore, and possibly, most importantly:  We can close this mailing list,
(reducing our email management woes) and we can handle oodles of threads
without overwhelming anyone:  I do not want us to form separate mailing lists
because I don't want to join every mailing list (there is so much overlap),
and I have to admit I usually think many times about posting because I don't
want to overwhelm members with something like EDUML which currently interests
only a select few.

For those who still want to receive email, I am sure squishdot can or will be
able to automatically sent articles based on certain criteria to you (to
create that mailing list feeling)

Lastly, from an XML point of view, squishdot is based on DTML (XML for
article management) and HTML: in other words, it can/will be integrated into
EDUML ... meaning the articles themselves can be part of an educational
software system.

What more can I possibly want:  this thing slices and dices and makes french
fries in minutes!  :-)

Bruno