Re: Greetings and introduction...

Chris --

If I read your Web pages right, you haven't actually set up a prototype
XTerminal yet. When you get to that stage, I'd welcome hearing from you
about your experience. About a month ago, there was a brief discussion on
this list of how schools might use donated 486s with Linux. Several
suggestions bounced around, including dedicated XTerminals, and I'm (kind of
on a low-key basis) trying out possibilities here at home (I'm a former
school sysadmin, currently between jobs).

So far, I've been disappointed with performance, even on the 32 meg 486/40
I'm using for my tests. But then, I haven't been using Jacques' package, and
he may have done some optimizing that deals with the speed problems I've
seen. And I've been trying somewhat different models from the one you're
using - making the machine a standalone Xterminal, not getting a lot from a
server, and trying to run a VERY limited set of apps directly on the same
box. (The performance killer, as you probably already know, is Netscape.)
The original posting that motivated my tests involved a school that had a
roomful of 486s and NO money -- so I've not considered solutions that
require buying servers and am trying even to avoid the need for NICs.

Anyway ... when you get to doing the actual setups, let me know. We may have
things to learn from each other.

Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603    	 	        ray@comarre.com