[seul-edu] LinuxWorld Conference & Expo planning

I have carefully considered the idea of how to cover our
booth at LinuxWorld Conference & Expo (the contract will be
faxed over today) next month.

EXPOSITION HOURS:
Halls 1, 2, 3
August 15, 2000          10:00 am - 6:00 pm
August 16, 2000          10:00 am - 6:00 pm
August 17, 2000          10:00 am - 4:00 pm

At this time, I have met precisely <0> of the persons on
this list.  By the time the program is over, I hope to meet
precisely <as many as possible>  I do not know how much time
I can really give to being there.  I would like to do it all
three days, but we are converting our adult probation
department over from dumb terminals to windows NT 4.0
workstations.  (I have a basement room filled with about 800
cubic feet of computer hardware needing installation.

I will PLAN on being there at least the first day, but I
need to leave by about 4:00 to catch the last train.

Eugene has offered to supply us with 2 configuired systems
to use as we need. Thank you.

Aaron Turner has offered to give up his days off to help man
the booth. Thank You

Pete St. Onge has the Banner used for Montreal and has
offered to ship it to us.  I am thinking the best way to
handle this may be by shipping it direct to the EXPO.  I
think with UPS offering a "delivery schedule" to business
locations, that may work ok.  Any comments?

Pete, Doug and Odile prepared an HTML-based presenation for
Montreal that would be nice to use.  We can alternate it
with the LIMITED number of apps we wish to demonstrate.
(Should we consider having 3 systems, if Eugene is willing?)

What are the preferred Apps to display on the LIMITED space
we will have??? ... a single table is not much.  According
to my understanding of crowd functions, the apps should be
able to catch attention and be "snappy enough" to keep the
attention of a BUSY attendee for a minute or two.  (please
correct me if my perception is off!!)

If we can get other individuals to commit to a time frame
for the expo, we can be sure you have the passes to bring
along a friend or two. They are providing us with 50 passes
for the expo, but pre registration for the EXPO only is free
until July 21, then it is $25
<<http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/show_reginfo.html>>  If
there is a SLIGHT possibility you may be able to attend,
REGISTER NOW and attend the expo for free.

Please let me know how you can help  I am forwarding a copy
of this to Roger Dingledine to allow him an opportunity to
share our space with others in SEUL.  If we need more space
and want to, I can register a second space in the dot org
pavillion under linuxhelpers.org.  I just need to know in a
day or two before the space is committed.

As a closing point, should I register our space under SEUL
or SEUL/edu?

Thanks for all who are willing to assist.
Bill

--
"No woman in my time will be prime minister," said Margaret
Thatcher in
1969. She would go on to be the most prominent British prime
minister
since Churchill. Don't sell yourself short.
begin:vcard
n:Ries-Knight;Bill
tel;home:209-951-8233
tel;work:209-468-8009