Re: [seul-edu] Math teachers...

...  yet another continuation!

Other Issues
------------

12. Be sensitive to the fact that students may be at different levels
of experience with their use of computers.

Simplify the interface as much as possible for inexperienced students.
(The same goes for training for teachers - many teachers are still
very unsure about how to use computers.)

This means stay away from full-blown desktops as your only option.
You want to spend your time teaching math concepts, and not getting
rid of 20 versions of a browser that has opened up on the desktop.
Linux is very useful regarding this. You can use tcl/tk, for instance,
to create a menu bar with just just the buttons you want them to click
on. Windows is the worst. I've had students give up in tears after
spending 20 minutes trying to get rid of that stupid paper clip guy.

13. Pay attention to the classroom setup. Ideally, you want to be
able to see what everyone is doing. If possible, arrange the seats
so that when you have something to say, everyone must turn away
from the screen to listen to you. Try not to have the blackboards
facing the same way as the computer screens.

Whew. I'm sure I've left some things out ...
Sorry this thing got so long - this message just kept splintering
and I didn't know where to break it.

L. Prevett
Mathematics Instructor
Cochise College, Sieera Vista, AZ