Re: [seul-edu] Open Source Applications Certification

   This point hit home hard.

students in the door.  What concerns me is that "certification-mania" is
starting to be seen as a substitution for an education, and that's just sad.
I agree wholeheartedly. It's sad that someone with a stamp from a certification agency is worth more than someone with a compsci bachelor's. To me, a certification makes sense for some sort of highly specialized work (e.g. security) but for general system administration or programming, it's a poor excuse for a real education.

Story time! :-) I applied for a job once which listed an MCSE as a requirement. I knew I didn't have an MCSE, but I had one back in the NT4 days and taught many Windows courses at the college level. I figured than an "expired" MCSE, a master's in IT, and fifteen or so years of experience would suffice. The interview, was, well, interesting. Despite other parameters (money, job responsibilities, experience, etc.) being a match, it was clear that I wasn't going to even be considered without an active MCSE. We both agreed to end the interview, and I left thanking God because I didn't want to work for a company that numb.

--
Regards, | There can be no effective control of corporations while their
. | political activity remains. To put an end to it will be