Re: [seul-edu] Open Source Applications Certification

Glenn Iriye wrote:
or more of their courses.  Students feel they are behind their peers.  Part
of our work is to re-build their confidence so they see themselves as
competent learners.  Preparing them for certification, in courses like our
CISCO networking course, C++ Programming, etc. restores their perception of
being able to learn.
Having taught in a community college, I've dealt with some of the same issues and types of students. That self-confidence issue is critical, so yes, I can see your point. I was referring to a more typical IT admin gaining certification and how the industry increasingly sees certs as equivalent to a degree. Ignoring this "special circumstance," I still think that trend is a bad one.

--
Regards, | "Why, of course, the people don't want war... Voice or no voice,
. | the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders...