From: Randy Edwards [mailto:redwards@golgotha.net]
Sent: June 12, 2003 2:32 PM
To: seul-edu@seul.org
Subject: Re: [seul-edu] Open Source Applications Certification

    This point hit home hard.

> students in the door.  What concerns me is that "certification-mania" is
> starting to be seen as a substitution for an education, and that's just
sad.

    I agree wholeheartedly.  It's sad that someone with a stamp from a
certification agency is worth more than someone with a compsci bachelor's.
me, a certification makes sense for some sort of highly specialized work
(e.g.
security) but for general system administration or programming, it's a poor
excuse for a real education.

    Story time! :-)  I applied for a job once which listed an MCSE as a
requirement.  I knew I didn't have an MCSE, but I had one back in the NT4
days
and taught many Windows courses at the college level.  I figured than an
"expired" MCSE, a master's in IT, and fifteen or so years of experience
would
suffice.  The interview, was, well, interesting.  Despite other parameters
(money, job responsibilities, experience, etc.) being a match, it was clear
that I wasn't going to even be considered without an active MCSE.  We both
agreed to end the interview, and I left thanking God because I didn't want
work for a company that numb.

--
  Regards, | There can be no effective control of corporations while their
  .        | political activity remains.  To put an end to it will be
--
If this helped you please take the time to rate the value
of this post; just click on the Affero link below.

http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=drloss

Doug Loss              All you need in this life is
drloss@suscom.net      ignorance and confidence,
                       and then success is sure.
                         Mark Twain