Re: [school-discuss] Re: [seul-edu] Knoppix for Kids Beta

On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 06:58, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 09:28:00AM -0400, Jim Thomas wrote:
> > If you've already downloaded the iso, you can just mount it:
> >
> > mount -t iso9660 -o loop filename.iso /mnt/cdrom
> > ls /mnt/cdrom
>
> Unfortunately, in this case if you mount it loopback, you find that
> there a few minor files plus a huge binary blob. Presumably this is the
> thing which boots. (You all can investigate it yourself -- I've mounted
> it at ftp://seul.org/pub/seul/knoppix/)

Correct, the big binary is the cloop, or compressed loopback iso image.
That is how knoppix fits sooo much is so little space.

The expanded ISO image is 1.7GB

You can uncompress the cloop file with "compressloop" or with
"extract_compressed_fs", both are in the debian cloop-utils package
(don't know about other distros... sorry)

> I usually mount iso's loopback on the ftp server so people can browse
> them before downloading them. But in this case it won't do much good.
>
> (I probably could mess with the binary and turn it into an image also,
> and mount that. But that's more work. :)

Either that, or compile cloop support and mount the KNOPPIX file with
cloop...

			Harry