Re: [seul-edu] School in Taiwan

Hi,

What are you offering to entice people to come to Taipei and TEACH Linux
to/with/for you?

I and my family may be interested ;)

See some answers below...

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Stanwood Barret Dolph wrote:

-->Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:44:50 +0800
-->From: Stanwood Barret Dolph <white129@ms7.hinet.net>
-->To: seul-edu@seul.org
-->Subject: [seul-edu] School in Taiwan
-->
-->Well, our school has been thriving...we will be opening a kindergarden and
-->another school in Taipei...But our Linux program has gone nowhere.  Despite
-->much searching I could not find anyone interested in coming to Taiwan to
-->help us teach Linux.
-->
-->Nontheless, the opening of two more schools presents us with both problems
-->and possibilities. We will need to have some improvement in our accounting
-->software. Right now we use Access which works but is not really a solution.
-->My manager and I patched together an accounting plan two years ago and we
-->still use a modification of this.
-->
-->My goal is to have the two other schools input data to a central computer
-->via internet. We could use some old 486's at the two new schools and buy a
-->new computer for our central school.
-->
-->Questions for anyone who might know?
-->
-->1) What kind of web server would we need? I am leaning towards IBM because
-->they have good service here.
-->

Are you serving internally or externally or both?  If internally, apache
on a linux box will be fine.  If externally apache on a linux box will be
fine but you will probably want to pick higher end hardware...  IBM WILL
sell you linux boxes to do this....

-->2) Can we use this to operate both finances and our website? Local advise
-->says no...Is there anyway around the security problems.
-->

Of course you can....there are several unix based accounting packages that
work on linux... unfortunately I have not be able to test these packages
and don't know if they can replace your Access method or not.....

-->3) Database....Which Software should we use  and does anybody know of any
-->Universities which might be interested in working together to see how an
-->accounting program gets designed.
-->

Postgresql, if you want free and solid.  MySQL if you want almost free and
fast.  This refers to Freedom, not cost...  Coupling either PHP or Perl
with these databases will give you a VERY powerful ability to create your
accounting applications as web based.  (Making your idea of several
clients inputting data to the central server a reality)

-->Any help would be appreciated. All aspects of this program except some of
-->the details of our accounting would be accomplished with our students. I
-->think they could learn a lot by seeing this come together.
-->

Yep.

-->Cordially,
-->S. Barret Dolph