Re: [seul-edu] School in Taiwan

Jeff Waddell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What are you offering to entice people to come to Taipei and TEACH Linux
> to/with/for you?
>
> I and my family may be interested ;)
>
> See some answers below...

<deletia>

> Are you serving internally or externally or both?  If internally, apache
> on a linux box will be fine.  If externally apache on a linux box will be
> fine but you will probably want to pick higher end hardware...  IBM WILL
> sell you linux boxes to do this....

So will VA ;)

> -->2) Can we use this to operate both finances and our website? Local advise
> -->says no...Is there anyway around the security problems.
> -->
>
> Of course you can....there are several unix based accounting packages that
> work on linux... unfortunately I have not be able to test these packages
> and don't know if they can replace your Access method or not.....

Depending on exactly what type of accounting you are do.

> -->3) Database....Which Software should we use  and does anybody know of any
> -->Universities which might be interested in working together to see how an
> -->accounting program gets designed.
> -->
>
> Postgresql, if you want free and solid.  MySQL if you want almost free and
> fast.  This refers to Freedom, not cost...

PostGresQL also has the higher transactional functions akin to big-boys
like Oracle.  Although it
doesn't sound like he needs that level of db. MySQL will probably
suffice.

>  Coupling either PHP or Perl
> with these databases will give you a VERY powerful ability to create your
> accounting applications as web based.  (Making your idea of several
> clients inputting data to the central server a reality)

Since I work there, I will tell you that we(VA) have done a lot of work
with MySQL, Apache, and PHP (look at the VA page or Sourceforge.net) for
external and internal use...it has so far been a spectacular success.
Apache is always solid, MySQL works out well and PHP is flexible, easy
and has proven up to snuff for anything we've used it for so far
(although I still have a small beef with languages that are purely
interpretive ;)

Joseph E. Arruda		|	www.valinux.com
Corporate Alchemist		|	sourceforge.net
VA Linux Systems, Inc.		|	www.linux.com
z@valinux.com			|	www.lugod.org
+1 408.542.5730	 "Fugitive from the Law of Averages"