Re: [seul-edu] Young Linuxers in school

Hi Doug,

Congratulations on putting out a report every week. I know how hard it is ...

Doug Loss wrote:

> Second, there's a strong interest in Linux and an interest in helping among
> the young people who contacted me.  What should we do to foster and channel
> that interest?  I've invited them all to join us here, and I'm sure that at
> least some of them have.  Since most of us are older and are either
> teachers or technical (or both), I think these folks can provide us with a
> valuable perspective.  But I don't want to bore them if we can avoid it.

I think we should do something to encourage this and recognize those students.
Something along the lines of "see how hackers can make it so easy for
everybody to use computers" instead of the usual "teenagers = crackers".

Maybe give each one a page on SEUL where they could tell their stories, what
they did with Linux, how they did it, etc., the hurdles they had to go
through. Maybe make it somewhat anonymous if they don't want their teachers to
know ..., but still can point their friends to it.

Then SEUL could use that as an advocacy tool also. Everybody wins.

Chris
http://www.linuxforkids.com