RE: [seul-edu] I love progress

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Jason Mellen wrote:

> I like it. This will be great for many things I need to do except for a
> school setting I need something that can support multiple users. Is there
> something that I'm missing about this? With X, you only have to have the
> program running on the server not one for every user. What are your thoughts
> on that?

You're comparing it to a bunch of X terminals right? If so, I don't think
it's much different. Twenty people running Netscape remotely through X
terminals will cause twenty copies of Netscape to run on the server (file
server, that is). Now I know programs that can utilize shared libraries can
do this a little better, but statically linked apps are going to be a pretty
big load on the server.

That said, I've never tried either approach. I use VNC primarily so I can
use a Win95-based gradebook program remotely from the Linux box on my desk.
VNC is fast enough to be tolerable on a 10base-T, non-switched LAN.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/