Re: [seul-edu] Need advice

> > Greetings!
> > We used RH 7.0 for the winter interem semester Linux administration class.

If you look over recent redhat history (5.0 and 6.0) you would realise the
RedHat does some VERY VERY bleading edge stuff with .0 releases.  I am a
debian and slackware use, and have played (with much fustration) with
redhat on several occations...

> > My students and I found the configuration tools (basicly Linuxconf) to be
> > incomplete.  Many times we had to resort the the HOWTOs and vi to get
> > server tasks to properly run.

What do you mean "resort" to using VI and the HOWTOs?  IMHO that is where
you should have started.  The GUI tools take longer to use, and don't give
you the indepth understanding of the system needed to fully understand the
way it works.

> > We are now working on an information kiosk
> > project and have decided  to use Slackware 7.1 as the base. One major
> > drawback of RH 7, the binaries produced by RH 7 won't execute on
> > other releases / distributions because of library inconsistencies.
> > Methinks RH 6.2 or Slackware 7.1 may be the warm setup.

While I don't disagree with your decision, I feel you are making it for
the wrong reasons.  Slackware does not have many GUI tools, and red hat's
included tools don't quite work 100%, either way, for a custom,
maintainable setup, knowing the config files is the only way to go.

> >  --
> > jeff williams - cfiaime@nconnect.net
> > jeff.williams@cuw.edu
> > jbw9586@ksu.edu