Re: [seul-edu] Need advice

On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 02:48:44PM -0700, Harry McGregor wrote:
> If you look over recent redhat history (5.0 and 6.0) you would realise the
> RedHat does some VERY VERY bleading edge stuff with .0 releases.  I am a

This was true for 4.0 as well. It's just how they work.

Actually, Red Hat 7.0 plus all the updates is very usable. I'm using
it on a new machine here as a server, and it works wonderfully. But be
aware that there are something like 200 megs of updates. :)

> > > We are now working on an information kiosk
> > > project and have decided  to use Slackware 7.1 as the base. One major
> > > drawback of RH 7, the binaries produced by RH 7 won't execute on
> > > other releases / distributions because of library inconsistencies.
> > > Methinks RH 6.2 or Slackware 7.1 may be the warm setup.

In general, if you get the srpm and "rpm --rebuild" it, then you'll get an
rpm which is usable on whichever red hat system you rebuilt it on. It's
not a perfect answer, but I'm running plenty of newer (from red hat 7)
rpm's on my red hat 6.2 boxes.

--Roger