Subject: Fwd: Noble Ape files
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 18:05:02 +0000
From: Tom Barbalet <barbalet@users.sourceforge.net>
To: dloss@bloomu.edu, drloss@suscom.net

Dear Doug,

Good talking with you today. I have subbed to schoolforge and the
seul-edu mailing list.

Best regards,

Tom...

Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:39:16 +0000
To: Doug Loss <drloss@suscom.net>,
Tom Barbalet <barbalet@users.sourceforge.net>
From: Tom Barbalet <barbalet@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: Noble Ape
Dear Doug,

I have included a ZIP and a tar/bzip version of the same set of
directories. The sim directory contains the latest source (post
0.659) and the manual directory contains the Simulation Manual and
two additional programmer documents that introduce the software and
the graphics in particular.

In terms of porting, most of the software is platform independent -
all of the gui and core should be independent bar the definition of
black (0 or 255) in gui.h.

I have tested the CLE on UNIX - although I haven't included this
source. If your developers want to test this too, let me know.

In terms of porting, the platform independent interface is defined
through control.c WRT mouse and keyboard interaction. All graphics
are rendered primarily in display.c, with the graphics elements
combined in draw.c.

The graphics come in colour and monochrome array components as
detailed in the intro graphics HTML document. All that is needed for
the graphics is a monochrome (8 pixels per byte) and a colour (1
pixel per byte) copy-to-window function.

Menus etc are handled in platform.c. I have included the mac
directory because that is the current functional directory. Ideally
one of your developers would have a Mac OS X machine just for
comparison. Even a non-OS X Mac would be useful in terms of seeing
the final application working. The file handling component is being
reworked currently. This should be resolved by the time your
developers get into that section of the port.

For the Mac, compiling with Project Builder requires the
platform.rsrc file to be removed.

Any feedback on the software - the source, the documentation -
anything would be greatly received. I am more than happy to answer
any questions from developers. Please keep the correspondence through
the sourceforge email address for the time being.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Best regards,

Tom Barbalet...

If this helped you please take the time to rate the value
of this post; just click on the Affero link below.

http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=drloss

Doug Loss Courage is resistance to
Data Network Coordinator fear, mastery of fear --
Bloomsburg University not absence of fear.
dloss@bloomu.edu Mark Twain