Initial translation targets

Barret Dolph asked what things his translation project should work on first.  I
see this as prioritizing things that need translating, not just picking an
initial target.  Here's an idea for discussion.

Steve Tonnesen has just presented a very good idea of working out a standard
but customizable server installation that can be used by a non-expert
administrator to easily set up a Linux server.  Rob Bellville has volunteered
to help write documentation for this project.  I propose that as Rob (and
others, I hope) writes various portions of this documentation those portions
get passed on to the translators as soon as they're agreed to be in a release
rather than working draft status.  That way we would have this project ready
for use in many more locales than if we finished it up in English first and
then worked on translating it into other languages.

In the same respect it would be good to have regular input from educators from
many different educational traditions.  That way we would be more likely to
have truly generalized server installations rather than inadvertently
US/Canada-centric ones.  Steve, is this something we should look at in the
K12Admin software?  Everyone, please take a look at what Steve's done.  I think
it's pretty general, but then I'm from the US and presumably might miss a local
bias that would be more evident to someone from a different tradition.  And of
course all software should be internationalized.  Hilaire, I think you're
probably the most experienced of us in that.  Could you advise us on what's
needed in that direction (Steve, if you're already on top of that I apologize
for calling for assistance)?

Bill Tihen, it seems as though this idea would work perfectly into your
educational HOWTOs as a major part of the "setting up a Linux lab" HOWTO.  And
of course as soon as these HOWTOs reach release versions they should go to the
translators immediately (these would be second priority).

Third priority would be translations for internationalized programs we
develop, like Dr Geo, MeK, XeM, and LuM.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but
I believe these translations should be fairly quick and easy to do.

If all the programs I've mentioned use a common data format (Bruno's EDUML
comes immediately to mind) we should be able to integrate everything nearly
seamlessly.

So what do you all think?

Doug Loss            Democracy substitutes election by the
dloss@csrlink.net    incompetent many for appointment by
(570) 326-3987       the corrupt few.
                        George Bernard Shaw