RE: [Fwd: [seul-edu] Samba and printing]

At 09:28 AM 5/18/00 -0500, Culp, David wrote [in part]:
>I asked him why he just did not use the individual
>workstations as print spoolers for the printer attached to them and he says
>that in a Windows NT network a print job automatically gets spolled on a
>central print spooler (is this right)?????????  That sounds pretty
>inefficient to me.

No doubt it can be done (with NT or with Linux), but the core thing to
understand is *why* he wants it this way.

If his reason is something as vacuous as "because that's the way 'they' do
it" -- my prarphrase of what you wrote above -- suggest to him that allowing
each computer to print directly to its attached printer would save
bandwidth, simplify management of the workstations, and generally make the
teachers' lives less complicated.

If he has a real reason (I can imagine one with smaller networks, but it's
hard to come up with a sensible one that scales up to 60 printers), then the
viability of a Linux solution should be judged based on what problem he
wants it to solve.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com