Re: [Fwd: [seul-edu] Samba and printing]

"Culp, David" wrote:

> I agree, my main question is "why".  I can understand doing it this way for
> our 90 lab computers that print to a remote deskjet, but the workstations
> should spool their own jobs. I see no reason to share the wrokstation
> printers with anyone.  However, he is dead set on doing it this way. I have
> set up Samba many times, but never set up Samba to spool for a remote
> printer attached to a workstation, and then send it back.

Okay, so short of slapping him round the head with a fish <g>, what you
want is something like the following:

The individual workstations, with the printers attached, have their
print queues as a share. The Linux server is set up with remote print
queues printing to the appropriate SMB share (easily doable with
RedHat's printtool). Samba is set up with a set of print queue shares
which then point to the Linux print queues.

So it'll be something like:

Workstation --> Linux Samba queue --> Linux lp queue --> Workstation SMB
printer share -->Printer itself.

Thus creating lots of network traffic and using up processing time on
the server.

> > > He is currently required by the district to reboot
> > the
> > > Windows NT server once per week to keep it running smoothly.

Ha! Servers aren't *supposed* to be rebooted. Much. That saying, I think
Linux needs to be rebooted every 400-something days as that's when it's
got an internal clock rollover which can do nasty things to it.

Dan
--
dankolb@ox.compsoc.net  Oxford University Computer Society Secretary

--I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any comments or
  opinions expressed; don't trust everything you read above--