Re: [arturo@mezcal.dyndns.org: Re: [seul-edu] Filters for SQUID]

On Sun, 21 May 2000, mrzenn wrote:

> IPChains will become somewhat outmoded soon (depending on how fast the
> 2.4 kernel comes out.  Its new tool will be netfilter - which does not
> use the same command set, but will be more robust).
>
> Shouldt squid handle what you are asking for?

Yes, you're right (and all of the earlier posters). The problem of
blocking information at the IP level is that you can only block specific
IP addresses. It is not right to block all of xoom.com, just because you
saw a porn site in there.

Still, we need a fast and easy way to let the user say "no more Internet
traffic for the moment", without hanging up the phone. Some people have
told me that, while the teacher is giving some class in the lab, some
students are using the web, napster or irc.

So maybe we should be using squidguard + something easier that deactivates
ip forwarding, and that's it. I wonder if it is possible to program GNOME
applets from Perl...

Arturo