Re: [seul-edu] youngsters logging in

On Fri, 11 May 2001, Kevin Brown wrote:

> at my school all of the student accounts have null passwords. the only
> people who have passwords are the teachers
> and the administrators. there isn't really any security troubles either.
> no one cares to read anyone elses files cause
> there isnt anything interesting there other than typed stories. unless
> these grade ones have important files than
> null passwords might be a good idea. i dont know your situation of the
> school so maybe this wouldnt be a good idea.
> but those cuecats do look cool.

Same situation here, at Corbett.  I just have to keep convincing teachers
that the students MUST login as themselves (systems in the classrooms,
etc), and not to log the system in with their username/password at the
beging of the day, and leave it logged in.

We use the system name, and ident information for our proxy server
permisions, and logging.

> Kevin.
>
> ps - how would u make the access cards for the cuecats? are there any
> bar code making software for Linux?

You should be able to use this package for it:

Package: barcode
 GNU barcode can create printouts for the conventional
 product packagging standards: UPC-A, UPC-E, EAN-13, EAN-8, ISBN, code 39
 code 128 (b and c), and interleaved 2 of 5 . Ouput is generated as
 either Postscript or Encapsulated Postscript.

		Harry

--
Harry McGregor, CEO, Co-Founder
Hmcgregor@osef.org, (520) 661-7875 (CELL)