Re: [seul-edu] Looking for math curriculum

As an inner-city middle school teacher, I completely relate to Dave's point
of view.  I managed to put nine computers in my classroom running linux with
donations and a few hundred dollars out of my pocket.  In this first year, I
haven't done anything fantastic and revolutionary with them, but it is
something I can offer my kids beyond the routine, and on the whole my
classroom is the better for it.  Using computers in a rather simplistic way
will still connect with a few kids who you might not reach otherwise.  Not
worth spending tens of thousands on, but worth doing if you know how.

On Monday 14 May 2001 23:19, you wrote:
> James,
>     I agree with each of your 7 points. However, I also believe that if we
> keep doing things the way we've been doing them, we'll keep getting the
> same results we've been getting. A computer is nothing more than a tool
> which should help us to approach the problem of motivating in a different
> way. Since the kids are raised on visual stimuli, using visual stimuli in
> the classroom is an avenue worth pursuing. Regarding pouring money into
> computer infrastructure, that's why I am pleased at the opportunity to show
> off what can be done for peanuts. My classroom network has become sort of a
> hobby and has probably cost me a few hundred dollars out of pocket.
> However, it hasn't cost the school a dime. I'm trying to set it up as a
> demonstraton project to show what can be done with Linux and surplus (free)
> hardware.
>
> Dave Prentice
> prentice@instruction.com
> http://www.originsresource.org
> http://www.prenticenet.com/home/dprentice

Tom Hoffman
hoffman@as220.org
http://www.as220.org/~hoffman
~oOo~
Those who practice teaching do not for the most part succumb to cynicism or
indifference--the children are far too immediate and real for the teachers to
become callous--but, most of the school systems being what they are, can
teachers fail to come to suffer first despair and then deep resignation?
--Paul Goodman, Growing Up Absurd