From: James Oden <joden@eworld.wox.org>
To: seul-edu@seul.org <seul-edu@seul.org>
Date: Monday, May 14, 2001 8:25 PM
Subject: Re: [seul-edu] Looking for math curriculum

<snip>
Where I am coming from is that there are several reasons various
students do not excel in Mathematics, and lack of computer instruction
is not one of them.  Here are a few of those reasons:
1)  The primary reason, IMHO, is that students see no use for
    mathematics in _their_ world.
2)  No teacher has had the time to really reach the children
    in each's own individual way of learning.
3)  Most students who do miserably in mathematics believe
    that the concepts are beyond them (in short they lack
    confidence in themselves to master this discipline).
4)  They generally have a _very_ low self esteem.  Though,
    related to three they are not the same thing.

<snip>

I see so many states pooring lots of money
into computer infrastructure thinking that this will somehow prepare
these students for job markets of the future, when, personally, I would
rather see someone who has mastered Calculas, can express his/herself
cogently in paper and verbally, and can think logically, than
10 certified in something dudes.
Cheers...james