Re: [seul-edu] CIPA and Linux (meeting compliancy w/ SQUID)]

On Thu, 17 May 2001, elawson wrote:

> > This would work until we are able to fully meet CIPA with
> > Linux/Squid/SquidGuard, and it would keep the NT box from getting so
> > overloaded it dies.
>

> The FCC regs and the statute do not contain any specifications for the
> filtering device.  for this reason why would not Squidguard comply with
> CIPA.  I am unaware of any specific compliance issues.  The school is only
> required to certify they have a device.  How effective the device may be is
> not an issue in terms of certification as that is left to the local
> authorities.  that is how I read the law and reg anyway.

Someone stated earlier about issues with filtering "http put", and that is
most of what I was targeting.  Also, unfortuantly, I can see districts
going wtih comercial software so that they have someone they can sue.  The
Linux proxies would make that solition actualy work instead of flounder
anf all on it's face (like it's doing right now...).

> The other interesting thing is the filtering requirement is for "visual
> depictions" only.  There is no requirement that text be filtered.
>
> Ed Lawson

			Harry

--
Harry McGregor, CEO, Co-Founder