Re: [seul-edu] Legal questions [was Re: They changed the site! (was Re: [OS:N:] Donated PCs)

Stephen C. Daukas wrote:

>   is to say that what Microsoft is doing is wrong, Microsoft's
> representations of the facts are wrong or misleading, and GNU/Linux is
> a way out.  If your are going to make that claim, especially in the
> name of 70+ organizations, you should understand what the implications
> are and you had better be right!

Bingo!  It is one thing to say the EULA as you interpret it does not
require A or B as implied by MS in its statement at C.  It is quite
another to say MS statement D is wrong and misleading concerning the
legal requirements of the EULA or the rights of persons to donate
equipment without the original OS.  MS is not a public figure about
which one can say nearly anything without legal consequences.

Maybe they deliberately made statements in an effort to frustrate
donations.  Maybe someone did not pay attention or did not appreciate
the implications of what was being stated.

As a general rule, I find it better to first consider actions the result
of ignorance and stupidity as opposed to evil intent.  The former is
more likely than the latter.  Especially when dealing with large
corporations and governmental entities.

Ed Lawson