Re: [seul-edu] Server hacked via FTP hack... need help...

Ryan Booz wrote:

> my first experience with being hacked.  not fun.  definitely want to
> stop it from happening again... as best I can.
>
> Any opinions on which distro is "most" patched.
>
> thanks.
> ryan

En Guard appears pretty good at keeping up.

For a firewall, using LPR, Coyote, or one of the CD based firewall
distros on read only media is highly recommended.  Don't run extra
services on a firewall machine.  Keep it's daemons and root partition on
read only media.  A very small machine can act as a firewall in this way.

At ASC we have been doing this for years.  At one point a P133 with
network cards, 32MB of RAM, and a floppy disk drive replaced a dead
CICSO in running the campus network backbone for several months.

- cameron

--
- cameron miller
- UNIX Systems Administrator