Re: [seul-edu] Donated Computers announcement, Take III

Ok, here are a few of my comments (sorry I have not gotten to this
sooner, I have been tied up with supporting capstone presentations at
Arizona International College (my day job), and giving my final exam in
my Linux class at the local community college).

On Sun, 5 May 2002, Leon Brooks wrote:

> Take 3, please criticise, and please offer more positive spin!
>
> --------8<----cut-here----8<--------
>
> LINUX ENABLES SAFE COMPUTER DONATIONS TO SCHOOLS

I would suggest:

LINUX ENABLES SAFE, EFFECTIVE, COMPUTER DONATIONS TO SCHOOLS

> The Internet, Tuesday, 07 May 2002: In an official announcement from the
> SchoolForge[0] group today, spokesman Leon Brooks refuted statements on
> Microsoft's website which have been widely interpreted as a roadblock to the
> acceptance of donated computers by schools and other needy organisations.

I would like a better "location" than "The Internet", though with the way
this group is organised that might not be possible.

> "Using Linux, OpenOffice.org and other Open Source software, a school or
> charity can safely accept almost any donated computer," he said. "Simply wipe
> it and replace the software with Linux[1] and Open Source applications[2],
> then use the computer as a powerful workstation or server. It's an excellent
> idea to erase the existing operating system anyway - this also erases viruses
> and trojan horses, protects the donor's privacy, and complies with the
> typical EULA[3] - so why not install something better while you're there?"

Instead of "install something better" how does "so why not upgrade to
something better while you're there"

> Mr Brooks also noted that Linux removed many of the burdens, costs and legal
> risks of licence management and software asset auditing faced by all
> businesses, organisations and individuals.

I think it should read "Linux removes", and I would remove the word all,
it is assumed, and not necessarily true.

> The price tag is also attractive. "School decisions are often dominated by
> cost; much Open Source software is available at little or no cost, and runs
> well on donated computers," Mr Brooks explained, "Linux is easy to set up as
> a fast diskless workstation or `thin client', so many schools are rolling out
> networks using this technology with both donated and new equipment.

If possible, it might be wise to change this quote to a similar quote
coming from one of the guys involved in K12LTSP.

> "On top of this, Open Source software is immune to almost all existing
> viruses, has an excellent security record, is extremely reliable, and in an
> educational setting often provides a deeper involvement in computers than
> programs deliberately designed for the classroom."

These two thoughts don't really go well together.  The educations aspects
should be handled aside from the security aspects, unless you are refering
to securing the systems from the students themselves (which is another,
very important issue).  I just had the head of IT for the Tucson Unified
School District ask me why we had a firewall at Corbett Elementary School
(OSEF's test site for Linux on the Desktop, now 4 years into the project),
no that the district has a firewall (1 firewall, installed this past
summer, that is it...), my responce was simple, you have high schools, the
internal network is not secure, thus I have to add a level of security at
the site level.

> The most important benefits were outlined[4] by Peruvian Congressmen Edgar
> Núñez, Daniel Estrada and Jacques Ackerman after sponsoring a Bill to require
> State agencies to use Open Source where possible: greater autonomy,
> development of local talent, greater security, more complete accountability,
> and adherence to standards (interoperability). The ecological advantages of
> keeping computers and toxic parts out of landfill speak for themselves.
>
> "Microsoft claims on their website that `it is a legal requirement that
> pre-installed operating systems remain with the computer for the life of the
> machine',"[5] Brooks said, "I see this kind of problem often with Microsoft's
> software, as with viruses and security issues. The approach that many
> schools, charities and public bodies have taken is simply to use other
> software without this handicap. This happened[6] when Oregon and Washington
> schools recently found themselves being pushed into a software audit."

Again, you might want to see if you get get the people who were at that
meeting to put in a quote here, having quotes from several sources will
help.  I can rewrite one in my own voice, if you wish.

Also, I think that what MS meant by that statement, and what it really
means are two differant items.  I think MS was thinking from the point of
view of the person giving the computer, and that the license can not be
transfered to another computer at the site, nor can it be retained by
person giving the computer, still very hard to deal with, but perfect for
a Linux replacement.

> The Simple End User Linux group has dozens of case studies from real schools
> on line[7] showing the immediate financial advantages of this strategy, and
> the K-12 Linux Terminal Server Project group[8] are recording the extensive
> benefits of the thin-client approach. They have scores of real examples
> submitted from real schools by the people using it on the front lines.
>
> Organisations of schools and charities[9] have been springing up to take
> advantage of this newly publicised wealth of software. SchoolForge is one of
> the many alliances formed to give schools a running start in Open Source.

On that note, OSEF is right now (per the last communication with the IRS)
about a month away from it's 501c3 tax exempt status.

		Harry

--
Harry McGregor, CEO, Co-Founder
Hmcgregor@osef.org, (520) 661-7875 (CELL)