Re: [seul-edu] Another threat

On Mon, 13 May 2002 14:14:50 -0700
"Kevin Stiles" <kstiles@pasco.wednet.edu> wrote:

> With this in place it will be extremely difficult for any
> alternative software to get into our schools.

I could not tell from the sites what was being required, but it did
mention other Office Suites such as those of Word Perfect and Lotus.

Nevertheless, the purpose of many classes in high school business
departments is to prepare students to work in the exisitng office
environment by training them to use specific tools which are found
there.  Until that changes it is unlikely anyone is going to train
them on Open Office or whatever.  It might be a more  realistic goal
to get schools to use AbiWord or Open Office in the lower grades
where the instruction should be on concepts, etc. as opposed to
teaching tools.

Ed Lawson