Re: Gradebook development

Roger Dingledine wrote:

> Permission isn't needed from the FSF, but they generally appreciate it if
> people developing 'gnu foo' tell them about it, so
> a) they can keep track of who's doing what,
> and b) they can tell other 'gnu foo' projects about each other.
>
> Basically, the rule of thumb I've been working with is 'once there's code
> actually available and some users, then tell the FSF'. It doesn't have to
> be production-quality or anything -- just as long as it's well past the
> 'idea' stage. At least, that's how we dealt with it with the gEDA software
> project (www.geda.seul.org).

> --Roger

Actually RMS just posted something about this.  It was in LWN last
week.  He basically said that

1.  Anyone can release anything under the GPL, but
2.  If something is intended to be in the GNU project, they want to know
about it ASAP, so they can coordinate efforts.  I think that even
includes the "idea" stage.

I'm not sure if calling something GNU is supposed to mean it's part of
the GNU project.  Probably so.