Re: [Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] dhcp fails]

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 12:22:26PM -0500, Doug Loss wrote:
> owner-seul-edu@seul.org wrote:
>
> > From: "Kyle Hutson" <smyle@rockcreek.k12.ks.us>
> > To: seul-edu@seul.org
> > Subject: Re: [seul-edu] dhcp fails
> >
> > > pump is a trimmed-down dhcp client
> > > dhcpd is a better (but slower) dhcp client.
> >
> > I may be just totally off-base (and likely I am, so please correct
> > me), but isn't dhcpd the dchp DAEMON, used for giving out DCHP
> > addresses.  If this is the case, may pump be getting the DCHP address
> > from its own dchpd, therefore causing all these problems?
> >
> > --
> > Kyle Hutson /  Director of Technology  / Rock Creek Schools:  USD323
> > smyle@rockcreek.k12.ks.us                               785-494-8591
> > Actually I am a laboratory mouse posing as an engineer as part of an
> >                elaborate plot to take over the world

Probably a slip of the keyboard. dhcpcd is a dhcp client daemon and
dhcpd is a dhcp server daemon. Although maybe this is at the root of
the original poster's problems.

FWIW, I've been happily using dhcpc on my laptop Debian system for
both my wireless card and built-in ethernet port.  Once it was setup
I've never had a problem hooking to networks with it.  This through
all my various work environments as well as multiple home connections
(wireless, DSL, etc...).  I did have to play with setting up different
name server resolv files for different enviroments, but generally
that's not required if the dhcp server is setup right.

-- alan

--
Alan Chen
Digikata LLC