Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Child Internet protection act CIPA]

----- Original Message -----
From: Spurling, Shannon <shannon@more.net>
To: <seul-edu@seul.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2001 6:36 PM
Subject: RE: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Child Internet protection act CIPA]

> As far as I know, there aren't any comercial packages that meet the CIPA
> requirements. I have been told that CIPA requires that you be able to
filter
> all traffic based on content, including images

There are no performance requirements in CIPA.  The FCC comments with the
regs specifically states they did not elect to establish any performance
requirements as to the efficacy of the filtering software.  Therefore, any
filtering software which manages to filter any images that are inappropriate
complies with CIPA.

Also, I am unaware of any language in the statute or the regs that requires
filtering of anything other than images. This means text does not need to be
filtered under CIPA.  Illogical, but that is what the statute says. I would
really like to see what people are relying on if they are advising educators
otherwise.

I am interested in this as I will be making a presentation at the end of
this month on using Squid to comply with CIPA.