From: jeremy hunsinger <jhuns@vt.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:09:48
To: seul-edu@seul.org
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] Software for journal publish]

I think it is interesting how many seem to think that a modified portal
is sufficient as a system to run a peer reviewed academic journal.  I
haven't seen one, though i think it would be the easiest way to go.
however a portal isn't a publishing system, as a publishing system isn't
a portal, nor is a cms a publishing system, etc.

while technologically, it is a possibility.  I think that in terms of
appearance and design(which can be altered, i know) that the format of
sites such as phpwebsite, phpnuke(which is the one that i prefer),
geeklog, slash, etc. precludes to a great degree people who are familiar
with them as assuming them to be peer reviewed journals.  this is
because they are associated more with news and blogs in the minds of
many people and not with academic work.  which is why upon publishing on
online journal, the publishers consistently choose a different system.

the argument that "it works" doesn't work, because the thing that it has
to do is  "appear to be" and in the case of having a peer reviewing
system, it has to also map onto the expectations of peer reviewers.
iow, audience,audience, audience

>> www.phpwebsite.appstate.edu  for PHP Website, which I believe is the
>> best of the bunch reported on at
>
> --
> Doug Loss                 Always do right.  This
> Data Network Coordinator  will gratify some people
> Bloomsburg University     and astonish the rest.
> dloss@bloomu.edu                Mark Twain

jeremy hunsinger
on the ibook
www.cddc.vt.edu