[seul-edu] Re: [Fwd: Re: Software for journal publish]

You are right, the politics of "high academia" is a complete different animal. Effeciency is not a consideration, "common good " is not a consideration ( at least not a primary one), the "fame", "academic turf", "competitative advantages" are the primary ones.

This is similar to the puzzle how OpenSource companies can survive in the market, even VA now has to have some closed components to make SourceForge "competative". No software can map exactly to anyone's needs, either the users adjust or users customize the software, the joural publishing system is no different. It is a highly-customized system, although I would not say it is complex or difficult, and it is natural that those academic institutions want to wield those customizations into their competative advantages.  So we recommend some crude resemblance, you do you own customization( better than start from scatch), and we don't expect the customization will ever see the light of the day, and you should not expect any new recommanded systems closer to your needs than what we have recommanded already.

sad but true