Re: [seul-edu] (FWD) Red Hat Proposes Alternative to Microsoft settlement

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Doug Loss wrote:

> This is definitely where we need to work hand-in-hand with local LUGs.
> That's the only feasible way to get the school techs up to speed on
> Linux.  It's unreasonable to expect them to learn it by themselves in
> any but a small handfull of instances.

Another area to look at is the community college system.  Most CC in the
US are funded based on FTEs (full time equvelents), and are very
interested to offer another course, if they can get the enrolment.  This
year, so far, I have tought CIS 137, intro to Unix, CIS 225, Linux
Networking, and next semester, both CIS225 and a CIS298 Advanced Topics in
Linux Networking.  So far I have had very full classes with lots of
interest (the reason for the formation of the 298 class is so many
students wanted to more further into the Linux//Unix netowkring world).
BTW all of these courses were offered at Pima Community College,
www.pima.edu (west campus)

Requirments for certification (at least in arizona), to teach occupational
courses (ie Computer Science) is rather low, you have to prove 5 years of
field experince, and take a single course, and you quality for 5 year,
renewable certification.

		Harry

--
Harry McGregor, CEO, Co-Founder