[seul-edu] Forming a coalition to promote free and open tools and content in education

I've been following the discussions inspired by the Red Hat response to
the MS settlement proposal. Obviously it would be a great shot in the arm
for all concerned if Red Hat got a respectable hearing. I think we all
hope they do. Even if they win some sort of accomodation, however, we'll
still have to answer many of the questions about "which way forward" that
have been asked on this and other lists lately. It's both exciting and
frustrating to see that each of the open source in education discussions we
run into is at about the same stage, asking the question "What's the best way
to convince a school or school system to give it a try?"

Seul, open source now, the Texan community ed group and open source schools
are each struggling to put together the "next step." This situation is
duplicated in each application category: course builders,
intranet/collaboration apps, desktop Web site builders, mail clients (Web and
desktop), you name it.

I hope we'll find a way to form an international "collaborative" or a
"coalition for free and open source in education" that can be the work-base
for each of these cases; after all, coders can, in many cases where the same
licenses are used, "capitalize" on each other's code, sort of making use of
the available best of the gene pool. Why can't those of use working to promote
free and open source tools and content capitalize on each other's efforts?
Let's create a sort of commercial/product-neutral "brand" that goes on each of
our sites as volunteer members of this education-promoting collaborative or
coalition (lately that word seems over-used, although appropriate for us ;-)).
Participants would be defacto members of the "committee" that vets promotional
material that could be used by anyone or any group wishing to promote free and
open source tools and content.

When first designing Open Source Schools we had the discussion of how best to
get the attention of the "right" people in a school and decided that the
answer depended on whom you were talking to. So we set up the site according
to the roles people play in schools: school admins, teachers, community
members and then the more typical sys admins and tech coordinators. We
essentially want to make the site of use to members of each of those groups.
So, we'd like to join Seul and other groups in hopes that our site will
realize this ambition. We think we've made a good start in two months, so we
have something to contribute to the "cause".

Obviously SEUL and OFSET and other older groups have more to contribute. We'd
like to formalize this working group so that we can hasten the arrival of a
consensus on the best way forward.

Interested?

David Bucknell
Editor, OpenSourceSchools.org