Re: [seul-edu] Great do list from Teemu: Forming a coalition

"David M. Bucknell" wrote:

> I hope everyone in Seul/edu will see opensourceschools.org as theirs
> and become reporters for opensourceschools.org as a news site

I encourage that too.

> *I would like permission to direct readers at opensourceschools.org to the
> Seul/edu mailing list

David, you don't need permission!  Send everyone here; the more the
merrier!

> I would like to say a bit about the schoolforge concept for those interested.
>
> I guess the Seul/edu idea is to host educational apps and I think this is
> great.

In the Linux community, any name that ends in "forge" will likely
suggest that use.  That's probably why we made that assumption.

> Personally, however, I intended Schoolforge to go beyond apps into another
> area: the development of a school's lessons, courses and later, curricula,
> that could be used by anyone anywhere.

That seems like a superset of the "hosting educational apps" idea.  We
would be hosting the development of educational apps, the development of
lesson plans, etc.

[major snippage]

> Sorry to make it so long. I just wanted people to hear and have the chance to
> comment on whether they think this is a worthwhile idea -- and especially
> whether it fits with SEUL/Edu.

It's a very good idea, but also a very demanding one.  It's something I
think we'll need to work into, but that I think we should see as an
ultimate goal.  As to whether it fits with SEUL/edu, I think both Roger
and I see SEUL/edu as about to move beyond being a subproject of SEUL
and becoming something larger.  This seems like a good start on what
that larger organization should be.

Doug Loss
drloss@home.com