[seul-edu] K-12 LTSP

Greetings,

Is this a common occurance?  One of my students was tasked with installing an
Linux Terminal Server in one of our classrooms.  It seems the classroom
computers are simply unable to run Windows 2000, but will make nice X
terminals.

Anyway, said student grabbed K-12 LTSP as the basis for the installation.  The
documentation seemed unclear, and the kernels included would not boot.  The
target systems are HP Vectra 3s with upgrade 200 Pentium processors.  Now I
realize these are not the friendliest systems to work upon, but this
perserverant lad spent well over 30 hours trying to get this to work.

Yesterday we downloaded the standard LTSP binaries and had a working system in
less than an hour.

Thus the question, is K-12 LTSP broken, or is it our hardware that is so
flakey as to be unusable for their pre-compiled kernels?

--
jeff williams - cfiaime@nconnect.net
                jeff.williams@cuw.edu