Re: [seul-edu] Student Information Standard

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Jason Mellen wrote:

> Right now there are many different types of student management
> systems out
> there. Some are complex (AUC and K-12 Admin) while other are
> simpler
> (Ggrader.) But all of these share the same basic type of
> information. What
> if we could develop a standard format for exchanging all this
> between
> programs.

It's a good idea, Jason.  It's also pretty much EduML, which
Bruno Vernier and some other folks were (are still?) working on.
 You can see a link to it on our projects page
<http://www.seul.org/edu/projects.html>.  Perhaps unfortunately,
a bunch of commercial entities (with Microsoft the biggest
player) came out with SIF, a similar concept about a year after
Bruno started work on EduML.  The realities of the situation are
that EduML will probably have to become compatible with SIF.  We
tried to see if we could get on the SIF committee to help define
the format, but they had no way for non-commercial organizations
to participate.  Bruno, could you weigh in with some info on the
current and projected state of EduML?

--
Doug Loss           The art of medicine consists of amusing the
dloss@suscom.net    patient while nature cures the disease.