RE: [seul-edu] Student Information Standard

Thanks for the link. This is exactly what I was thinking about.

>  Perhaps unfortunately,
> a bunch of commercial entities (with Microsoft the biggest
> player) came out with SIF, a similar concept about a year after
> Bruno started work on EduML.  The realities of the situation are
> that EduML will probably have to become compatible with SIF.  We
> tried to see if we could get on the SIF committee to help define
> the format, but they had no way for non-commercial organizations
> to participate.
How much is SIF or EduML used? If not open-source programs support SIF
because it is proprietary then EduML still might have a place. We might want
to be compatable with the SIF but I beleive the community needs an open
solution to compete with it. I don't think the software giants should be
able to define standards that will effect free software.

>Bruno, could you weigh in with some info on the
> current and projected state of EduML?

I am interested to see what is happening with this. In any case, would
software developers support it if we advocated it more?

jmellen